Sunday, December 09, 2012

Farewell Sir Patrick Moore

I haven't blogged for a while because I haven't really had time or the inclination to do so. However, when I saw that Sir Patrick Moore has just died I couldn't help put fingers to keyboard! As a child growing up in the 70's, The Sky At Night was a wonderful program to follow. Not only was this the Space Age, but science fiction was rich and influential as a result, as well as the fact that in the UK we had just 2 TV channels to choose from (both of which started in the morning and ended in the late evenings). Way before Star Wars, Close Encounters etc. this small program hidden away at night on the BBC was my view screen into the much larger universe beyond my four walled world. And Patrick Moore was the epitome of the scientists who were pushing back the curtain to reveal the secrets beyond.

To say that The Sky At Night and it's presenter influenced me would be a bit like saying that the air around us influences us: both were pivotal when I was in my most formative years and I know many people who were similarly impacted by them. So it is with great sadness that I heard of his death; my condolences go out to his family and friends. And maybe tonight I'll get my telescope out and think of him and that time over 35 years ago when he captured my attention and helped shape me in some small way. Thank you Sir Patrick, you will be sorely missed!

No comments: