Sunday, August 26, 2012

Farewell Neil Armstrong

As soon as I heard about the death of Neil Armstrong I felt like I had to say something:


But I wanted to say a bit more. I was only 3 when we first landed on the moon. I'm told you shouldn't really be able to remember things that far back, or when you're that young, but I do: we had a black-and-white TV and I recall sitting on the floor of the living room watching the landing. Whether it would have happened with or without that moment, from then on I always had science, astronomy and space flight in my mind. Whether it was reading about black holes, rockets, time dilation or science fiction, or going to university and studying physics and astrophysics, they all pushed me in the same direction.

Landing on the moon was a pivotal event for the world and also for me personally. And Neil Armstrong was the focus of that event. I never met him, but for the past 40+ years I've felt his influence on many of the things I've done in my life. Thanks Neil!

No comments: