Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Interesting new paper on transactions

I met Daniel Abadi at HPTS 2009 last year, where he presented on HadoopDB. Very interesting and a good presenter. So it's good to see his latest paper on determinism and transactions in database systems. It's a good read and particularly for me because it mixes the two areas that have always been my interests: transactions and replication. The authors have some good things to say about NoSQL, but specifically around relaxing ACID semantics, the trade-offs that incurs and how perhaps there is an alternative. Again, this is an area I've had a bit to do with over the past few decades. I'll have to think about how and whether this is applicable to some of the work we're doing at the moment in large scale data grids.

No comments: