Thursday, March 09, 2006

Spotlight and Google Desktop

I've been using a Mac OS X machine at home for over a year and one of the features I really love about Tiger is spotlight. It's really easy to use and before I knew it, I'd become dependant upon it: any search for text, images etc, would drag me first and foremost to spotlight. No more using the clunky Thunderbird email search, or grep (yes, I also use emacs). It's great.

That's great for my Mac, but my main work machine is a Windows box. So I've been putting off installing Google Desktop for ages because I'd heard some bad things about it. But after checking with a few people who have actually been using it, I decided to give it a whirl. It's not as good as spotlight (indexing seems to take an age!), but it's good nonetheless. I think I'll stick with it for a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry - this is totally nothing to do with your post, but I thought you might be able to help. I'm based at Cardiff University. I want to implement WS-Context (in Java) as part of a WS framework (WSPeer). So I'm just wondering if there's any code out there which I can hack or whether I need to start from scratch.

cheers,

Andrew

Mark Little said...

Email me (mark dot little at jboss dot com).