Thursday, December 23, 2004

Semantic Web

So, I've been doing some of my paper reviews for WWW 2005. Some interesting stuff. More than 50% of the papers I've reviewed so far have been on the Semantic Web. Now I haven't had too much to do with that technically, but I've seen enough discussions elsewhere to know that some people see this as a fundamental building block for Web Services, whereas others see it more as an application that lives on Web Services. I have to say I fall into the latter camp, but if there are some good pointers to the former, let me know.

2 comments:

Mark Baker said...

The Semantic Web has nothing to do with Web services, and from what I can tell the reverse seems true too. The Semantic Web is built atop the Web itself. Check out;

http://www.deri.org/publications/techpapers/documents/DERI-TR-2004-05-31.pdf

Mark Little said...

Thanks for the link, I'll follow it up. I should have been more specific in my original posting: although I've read stuff on SW prior to Web Services, there seems to have been a shift over the past year or so to relating it to Web Services in the way I mentioned (jumping on the band wagon?) Maybe if some of these papers I reviewed get accepted I can post a couple of links. But I'm glad to know I'm probably not missing something. Thanks.